April 12, 2010

Hari Penghargaan Belia Wanita 2010

"Tangan yang mengoncang buaian boleh mengoncang dunia."  This phrase was mention by Y. Bhg Dato’ Hj. Fathul Razi Bin Hj. Bakri during his opening speech at the Hari Penghargaan Belia Wanita 2010 just yesterday. I was there representing the KL State Boys’ Brigade as a candidate for this special event organized by the Jabatan Belia dan Sukan Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur.

Y. Bhg Dato’ Hj. Fathul Razi Bin Hj. Bakri, Ketua Pengarah Jabatan Belia dan Sukan Negara, Kementerian Belia dan Sukan Malaysia

This event's objective was to recognize woman leaders in youth organization in conjunction with Hari Wanita Sedunia 2010. In total there were 25 recipients, which mostly consist of  representatives from various Majilis Belia regions and only 4 from uniform organizations comprising of Panda Puteri, St. John Ambulance, Girls’ Brigade and Boys’ Brigade.

Group Photo of receipients, Exco members and VIPs

What I found most funny was the look on people’s face when they heard that I am from the Boys’ Brigade or Briged Putera. I could see most of the attendees craning their necks just to catch a glimpse of “the putera” receiving the recognition award for wanita. Most of the comments I heard was “Putera ke Puteri?” “Putera? You lelaki ke perempuan?” “Kenapa ada puteri dalam Briged Putera?”. The funniest was one of my neigbour. She turned towards me and asked “ Briged Putera ada perempuan? You buat admin ke?” and she nodded her head so convincingly that I did not want to disappoint her and just nodded my head in agreement.


Receiving award

I tried explaining to Dato’ Hj. Fathul Razi Bin Hj. Bakri when he was handing out the award to me and he breathe a sigh of relief and said “Oh, Girls wing!” I hope he understood what I was trying to say in the few seconds that I had with him.

I realized how much effort MBWP was putting into youth and woman of today. During the speech made by Y. Brs Puan Ida Harlina Ikhwan Nasir, Presiden Majilis Belia Wilayah Persekutuan, she said that the number of woman in Wilayah Persekutuan is at a ratio of 1 : 7. Imagine for every man there are 7 women. There are more women than men involved in various welfare organization proving that “wanita – yang mempunyai hati suci, hati besi”. This is what I call Girl Power!!! :)

With GB officers, Tay Choon Neo & Siew Lee Sin

Anyway, sadly the number of recipients’ for the award was not outstanding. I expected so much more. I believe it is the lack of response from other societies and organizations. Maybe we all need to lend our support to MBWP as they try to help us.

With Sharifah Zarinah, Majilis Belia Kawasan Cheras

I left the place with a happy heart, couple of namecards, a certificate, a trophy, a bouquet of flowers, a goody bag and a realization that women too can change the world. Nope not on our own, but “bersama-same dengan lelaki”. And in working together, we can make a difference in our nation.

Happy faces :)

No comments: