July 26, 2012

Fine Dining @ The Quad, UCSI North Wing

A few months back, I was 'invited' for lunch at The Quad, a restaurant managed by the UCSI School of Hospitality. My reaction was erm... students? cook? restaurant? But seeing that it was a very close friend who asked me and not just because she was going to be serving me, I decided to give it a try. 


Driving there wasn't an issue. Set in the UCSI North Wing Campus, parking was a breeze. However, finding the restaurant wasn't. After some directions, I found myself infront of a glass enclosed restaurant. The door opened even before I touched the handle and I was greeted with a smile and a 'welcome'. 



I was handed the menu and since they were having a Mother's Day promotion, I just had to decide on whether I wanted fish or chicken for my mains. The wait wasn't long and the glass of white wine helped to passed the time. 

For appetizer, I started off with a slice of Bruschetta topped with tomato and basil salsa. I'm not a fan of tomatoes, but the mix of vegetables blended well together. The bread was crispy enough. Not a bad start to the meal. 


Next, I was served with pipping hot Pumpkin Soup. Delicious, thick and yummy pumpkin taste. All I can say is that I wish I had a bigger bowl. 


I decided on fish and shortly after I finished my soup and my bowl was taken away, my mains came. Grilled Teriyaki Salmon! The Norwegian Salmon was served with layonaise potatoes, vegetable tempura and teriyaki sauce. I started with the tempuras which tasted just OK. The fried onions was good but the ladyfingers were tad too old and tough. 


The salmon was on a whole different level. Grilled to perfection and topped with teriyaki sauce, it was enough to wet my appetite. The fish meat was so soft and fell right off without even me slicing it. Pink and delicious, I slowly took my time to savour it. The sliced potatoes hidden beneath the fish was just right. Slightly crispy, yet soft at the same time. 



After the hearty meal, I ended it with Strawberry Millefeuille for dessert. Since it was my fast time hearing about this, I didn't know what to expect. According to Wikipedia, mille-feuille originated from France and is made up of 3 layers of puff pastry, alternating with 2 layers of pastry cream. My millefeuille is slightly Italian-nized. It contains 3 layers of soft biscuit-like served with strawberries and cream cheese. The biscuit was a tad bit dry, and I wished they served more cream. 


And complimentary on the house, I was given a glass of their specially mixed cocktails - watermelon with mint leaves. Me being a fan of mint, really like it but I think that the mint leaves will be took strong for most people. 

A bit of hit and miss, all in all, a very satisfying meal. And to top that, the entire set meal was only RM25!! (including the glass of wine). How's that for a really fantastic deal? And not forgetting to mention that the servers were helpful and courteous. Considering that they are just students, I would say they beat certain dining establishment any time. 

I know its long overdue and this promotion have already ended but its still not too late. They are serving Ramadhan Buffet Dinner on selected days and its only for RM38!!! Not sure what will be served but I'm sure am looking forward to it. 



Anyone keen to join me next Wednesday? Let's buka puasa together :)




p.s. If you do miss this, its OK. They do served alacarte on weekdays with prices starting from as low as RM8 for mains. 


p.p.s  Directions : On Taman Connought highway heading towards Kajang, turn left after the BP Petrol Station onto Jalan Waras. Go straight and you'll see UCSI North Wing on your right. Parking is only RM2 per entry, I think :)


p.p.p.s Reservations required!!




No comments: