October 30, 2012

bed bugs, cockroach, and all

I grew up hearing the bedtime wish of , "Sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite."

Ignorant to the fact of what are beg bugs. Until now.

When my SIL told me that we will be staying at Salang Indah Resort in Tioman Island, I hurriedly google it and behold, was dismay to read really bad reviews. 8 out of 10 complained about it and to add on to that, the horror of bed bugs. 

I then Google about bed bugs, those horrid scarifying bugs, how to spot them, how to prevent, how to get rid of it, everything - and I armed myself with everything possible before heading there. 

Upon arrival, I stripped the mattress, check the bed lining, the dark corners and even though I didn't spot any beg buds, there were some tell-tale signs of black spots - I think. 

As I was getting ready for bed, I spotted a tiny apple seed like thing crawling on my blanket. It looks like a BED BUG!!! I scrambled out of bed and with all the vehemence I had, fling it out the balcony, as far as I could towards the sea. 

That night I huddled up in bed, cocoon myself with my blanket and had a sleepless night, waking up every now with imaginary bugs crawling on my legs, back, stomach... arrgghhh!!!

2nd night wasn't any better, waking up periodically, grabbing for my flashlight and blinding unseen bugs with the vengeance of my bright shining light. At 5.30am, I woke to something crawling up my feet. Its a HUGE ASS COCKROACH!! Or so I think. I shook my leg and gave it a kick in some random direction and it flew - yes it flew. away. and landed with a smack on the floor. 

I couldn't sleep any longer. I woke up and found this on the bed. 


3rd night. I gave up. Bed bugs, whatever bugs. Come get me.

I left Tioman Island with 37 *yes, I counted them* big red 50-cents sized bites all over my body. Although I doubt that its bed bugs; I can't identify for sure. But if I guess it right, at least 80% of them are sand flies bite. 

Oh well... bugs and all. You win. 

It's so good to be home. 


No comments: