January 6, 2014

A day in Kota Kinabalu

Hello everybodyyyyy!!! I'm back... How have your new year been? I ended mine with a bang!! High up at the peak of Mt. Kinabalu. It's absolutely beautiful up there but I couldn't feel my legs after. Anyway, after we got down, we had a day to spare before flying back to Kuala Lumpur. We decided to be adventurous... afterall, we had just conquered Mt. Kinabalu. 

After turning down an overpriced taxi, we decide to catch a local bus to the city center. Catch my foot!!! It sure was a funny sight as a bunch of sore thighs people half walk-ran across the road to catch the bus. After settling in our seats, it was a drowsy ride as the old-school rickety bus slowly lumbered along the road. We 'jingled' the bus driver when it was near to our stop. 

First stop, lunch!!! We found ourselves at Kedai Kopi Yee Fung, fame for its Sabah Laksa. Since there was 4 of us, we decided to order 1 of each dish - Yee Fung Laksa, Yee Fung Ngau Chap and Claypot Chicken rice to share. Simple, delicious and unique. Very unlike the laksa back home. 

Lunchat Kedai Kopi Yee Fung

Teh Maderas Ping

After a satisfying lunch, we rambled around Kota Kinabalu City Center. From Gaya Street, we walked towards Kampung Air and stopped for a mini cup of ice milk tea. Then it was off towards Sinsuran where we spotted a poor God of Wealth and smiley faces. Finally, we arrived at the Handicraft Market and spend some time shopping, chatting with the locals and just watching them live. 

I'm sure the God of Wealth could spare you some cash to fix your old sign.

Capturing smiling faces always makes my day. That's not me. I'm behind the lens. 

Playing Uno. Just like what we do back home. 

Rows of Sewing Men...

Monkeys strung on a string.. 

Fisher boats resting in the sun

Carefree moments..

These bananas are huge. Almost double the banana size back home. 

Malay kuihs. Getting ready for Pasar Malam. Yummy!

Friendly old man stirring his goreng pisang batter

Can you hear me. Can you talk to me. Can you see me. 

Colours. Freedom. Unity. 

We ended the trip with fresh coconuts at a roadside stall. Sadly, we had to leave before the Pasar Malam opens. Oh, how I wish I could wait and watch the place come to live. 

We caught the free shuttle bus from Warisan Mall (in front of the Waterfront) back to 1Borneo Mall. Walking around with sore thighs, calves, feet and wobbly knees is no fun... but I gotta say that it was a beautiful day. Perfect way to end my trip to Kota Kinabalu. 

I will be back someday. So much more to explore. 

No comments: