August 17, 2011

Mongolian Steamboat @ Xiao Fei Yang

My dad fell in love with Mongolian Steamboat ever since Edwin (me twinnie's boy) brought him to try it. And every once in a while, they would drive all the way to Pudu to sweat over its spicy goodness. When the restaurant in Pudu closed, the were so disappointed until they discovered another one located so close by at Damansara Uptown. I finally had the chance to go try it with them one evening... 




We had a combination of Herbal Soup and Hot & Spicy Soup *also known as Mah Lat Soup as it contains a mixture of Mah Lat (Peppercorn) and some other spicy stuff*. My dad likes it spicy so we order extra helping of Mah Lat mixture... Mah Lat Soup is known as a Mongolian dish. However, it originated from Sze Chuan, China. 


They have a wide variety of choices.  Prices are average. Of cos you can get in much cheaper if you purchase from the wet market, but for a clean air-condition restaurant, its ok..  


Some of the food we ordered. The slice beef and chicken was really fresh... and of cos, I cannot have steamboat without my favourite meat balls and yee mee and fuh chok.. :)




 The little Mongolian girl. The owner's daughter..


My family + some extension enjoying our meal... *except for me 'cos I keep going around to take pics :( *


Yummy soup.. The Herbal Soup was nice but the Mah Lat Soup lacked ommphh! According to my dad and Edwin, the soup wasn't that good this time...  They didn't feel the "shiok-ness' of the spicy peppercorn soup.. 



Oh, their sauces is a must-try. Its something unique that I have not tasted before. Rockstar didn't like it but for me, it goes well with the freshly boiled food. My brother loves it and pile a whole chuck of its black stuff on every bite. Remember to dip in both sauces as they go better together..  


I can't really judge as this is my first time trying it besides the Mah Lat fish I had in China. It was a good meal with good food and *as usual* good company. However, I left the place feeling that something was missing. Not sure if its the soup or something else... but will definitely go back for 2nd round :)


Xiao Fei Yang Restaurant
No. 40G & 42G, Jalan SS21/ 62,
47400 Damansara Utama,
Petaling Jaya
Tel : 03 - 7728 7633

Xiao Fei Yang Restaurant
No. 18, Lorong Thambi Dua,
Off Jalan Pudu, 
55100 Kuala Lumpur
Te; : 03 - 2142 6789

Business hours : 11.00 am to 10.30pm

3 comments:

amelia said...

DO YOU KNOW HOW DISAPPOINTED I WAS WHEN THE PUDU ONE CLOSED ?!?!?!?! Ahhhh... Now i can enjoy it again .... *drools*

theestherchew said...

hehe.. come, lets go... i wan 2nd round..

amelia said...

Count me in, i've been craving for this a long long time lor...